Sunday, October 17, 2010

Watering the meadow

Watering the houseplants, giving each their particular attention, less for the cheeseplant, more for the bonsai, plenty for the moneyplant, spray for the orchids,  I found myself thinking of last night's Asking Diagnosis tutorial and an anxious new student wondering if she really could make a living doing Shiatsu.  Someone had told her, she said, to get a proper job and just do shiatsu part time.  Why not, I thought, its as good a way to start as any.  But no, said another more senior student who had returned after a long absence: "I've been making my living at it full time for the past three years, paying the bills, going on holidays, all the things I did when I was in employment.  The difference," he added with a serene smile, "is that I can start work at noon and organise my time the way I like."
What a great example!  of both, I mean, because some people like to do things one way and some people another,  whether bonsai or a an orchid!
That tutorial inspired me to serialise our Zen School teaching 'How to find Clients - and keep them coming back', the system adopted by the returning student to build his practice and based on my own experience of thirty years in business and management development before I discovered shiatsu.
The truth is, while these challenging times seem to clothe the merchants of gloom with authority, we can each use our talents and follow our nature to make our living doing what we love in the way that suits us best, from cheese-plant to money-tree, in the Way of the Helping Hand.
My mind drifted back to the days with the Rainbow people, where the protocol for dealing with forest fires was either to join the team fighting the flames, or to run away to safety taking with you the children and utensils for the tribe's survival.  Both ways are honorable for we honour our nature, and while some will do shiatsu part-time, others will take the step to full-time, and both will be helping others.
Read all about it with a click here